Thursday, December 3, 2009

I made a small forest...of soft trees

I have been wanting to make these soft trees for the last couple of years but have never gotten to it, until now...and I sort of went crazy. I think I made about 20 of them. They are that easy. I'm sure there is a tutorial somewhere but I'm the type of person who decides to do something last minute and it has to be done immediately and looking for a tutorial would take way too long.

So here is how I made them.
Find scrap fabric big enough to make a triangle when folded in half. You don't want them too narrow on top because it makes it a little harder to stuff, but they do look cute varying in size and shape.
Cut into a triangle and slightly round the bottom. You will need to round it a little more then the one pictured below.
Here is what it looks like when opened up.
Sew open side.
To make the bottom, I'm sure there is a great way to do it other than just eye-balling it, but if you don't like to do math and use geometry when crafting, eye-balling works just fine.
Open up the triangle and stand it up and get a quick visual of the approximate size and then just go for it and cut it. I used fleece for the fabric on the bottom and this helped because it is a little stretchy and forgiving if you make the circle too small.
Here is what it looked like after I cut it. It is pretty close to the size.I went a little crazy. This is actually only about half of them.
Sew right sides of material together leaving about a 1.5 to 2 inch opening for turning and stuffing. Again the fleece was helpful in stretching when turning and stuffing. I found it easiest to sew the bottom piece onto the triangle piece.
Here's what it looks like after the bottom was sewed on.
Here it has been turned and it ready to be stuffed. If you have two little helpers around they might have a lot of fun helping you stuff the little trees...and turning your dining room into a snow storm.
A couple of the taller skinnier ones didn't want to stand up on their own after being stuffed so I added a little bit of rice at the bottom. I made a quick little funnel out of a scrap of card stock that the kids had been cutting up. If the rice seems to be getting stuck check the end and make sure someone didn't mistake it for a trumpet, bite the end and get it all wet. If so, just dry it and reopen the end.
Next, sew it closed. This could probably be hand stitched and have a clean finish or you can just use your machine and not care about a little seam showing.
Tuck seam allowance in, align, then squish it down and sew.
It can barely be seen.
Have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!