Saturday, February 13, 2010

Thumbprints

(Heart -Shaped) Thumbprint Cookies
These cookies from Joy of Cooking cookbook only contain about 2 gms of fat and are super yummy. Here's the recipe.
Position rake in center of oven. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease cookie sheets.
Whisk together thoroughly:
1 1/2 cups flour
1/3 cup corn starch
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
Beat on med speed until well blended:
3 1/2 Tbs unsalted butter, softened
3 Tbs corn or canola oil
1 Tbs light corn syrup (I didn't have any and they turned out just fine)
1/2 cup sugar
1 lg egg
2 1/2 tsp vanilla
Stir flour mixture into egg mixture just until combined. With lightly greased hands, pull off pieces of dough and roll between palms into 3/4 inch balls. (I then kind of shaped them into a heart still keeping it kind of thick so that I still had enough room to make a deep well thumbprint for the jam or preserve.) Space balls about 2 inches apart on the sheet. With thumb or knuckle press down center of each cookie to make a large deep well. Fill wells with:
seedless fruit jam or preserve (not jelly because it will be too runny)
I used strawberry and it worked great. Bake 1 sheet at a time until tops are lightly tinged brown, about 6-9 minutes. Remove sheets and let stand about 2 minutes until cookies firm slightly. Transfer to racks to cool.
Just about the easiest cookie I have ever made.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE thumbprint cookies!!! But I add chopped walnuts to the outside before I add my thumbprint...hmmm, perhaps that will be added to my list of things to do! =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!