Thursday, October 6, 2011

broccoli-cheddar soup recipe

OK let's talk about soup.

It's cold and raining today so I feel like it is officially okay to have this talk.  I started a couple of weeks ago with my soup making.  I couldn't wait.  Well, let's be honest here, I actually make soup year round sometimes even when it's hot...not too often though...but it is a lot more enjoyable when it's cold.  So now it's cold and my family can't complain.  

I tried a new recipe the other day and it was pretty tasty.

I always end up changing recipes so here is my adaptation of the recipe from here.

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
  • 2 large russet potatoes, chopped
  • 2 carrots, chopped
  • 4-5 cups chopped broccoli florets
  •  salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
  • Croutons, for topping (optional)


Directions

Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and celery and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken broth, half-and-half, potatoes, carrots, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. 
Add broccoli and simmer for another 8 minutes.
When the potatoes are tender, transfer about 3/4 of the soup to a blender, this will probably have to be done in batches. Puree until smooth, leaving the filler cap slightly open to let steam escape (or puree the soup in the pot with an immersion blender).  
 Return to a simmer over medium-low heat and season with salt and pepper.
 Ladle the soup into bowls and top with cheese and croutons, if desired.

WOW, I didn't realize how much I altered that recipe.  It turned out really yummy.

A couple of reasons why I love soup...
  it's never dry...if it is, you have made a really big mistake somewhere along the way.
  it can usually be made in one pot (less dishes)
  it's usually very flavorful...i like flavor, bland is just too bland for me, haha.
  i can usually get in a lot of really yummy veggies and the kids will eat them...usually is the key word. (they weren't big fans of this recipe)

A couple of my other favorite soups are here and here.

What is your favorite soup? I need some ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!