I never thought that I would say that about these two, but this weekend I did make both of them pants out of the same fabric. Both of these guys are sprouting and almost all of their pants are getting way too short. I found this pinstripe fabric on the $1 rack at M & L Fabric a while ago, loved it, and bought all of it knowing I would find something to do with it...so, they are now matching. I'm not sure I really like having them wear them on the same day, but they didn't seem to mind at all.
The fabric is pretty lightweight so I lined Julian's pants. I made Ella's first and didn't get smart until I got to Julian's. I lined his with nice soft T-shirt material. I made both of them almost the same way that I make their pj pants. For pj's I just make 2 panels that are cut on the fold, but I wanted these to fit a little nicer so I made them with 4 panels so that the front and the back are a slightly different and fit a little nicer. I just used a pair of pants that fit them pretty good, folded it in half one way for the front panels, and cut out the pieces giving myself a seam allowance and a little more length plus the hem on the bottom, and a couple inches extra on top for the waistband. Then I folded the pants the other way for the back and gave myself the same allowances as for the front panels. Super easy even though my ultra-simplified instructions probably doesn't seem like it...at all. For much clearer instructions you can go here. I'm a lazy sewer so I don't use pins and I don't iron so I cut out about 5 minutes off each pair of pants. No, I have no idea how much time I eliminate if I do at all, I probably just make poor quality pants. My kids don't complain though.
These pants look so comfy, I just might have to make myself a pair.