Monday, March 18, 2013

Progress :: Raised garden boxes

 A lot of progress was made over the weekend. 

We have three new raised plantar boxes all set and ready to go.  The third one is hiding behind the bushes and is closer to the back of our yard.  The orange stuff on top of the soil is just the leftovers from juicing.  We have been juicing off and on for a while and now I have something useful to do with the leftovers.  I am going to let if dry out a little on the top, then turn it over and mix it in.  We have about another week before our little seedlings are ready to be planted.  We planted our other flat of seedlings this past weekend also.  
I hope we have enough room.  
We made two smaller boxes, one is 4 ft x 3 ft and the other is 4 ft x 5 ft.  Our big one is 7 ft x 3 ft.
Everyone helped.  
Andy pretty much made the boxes and the kids and I attached the weed screen to the bottom.  Any time we let the kids use a hammer they are so excited.  There was some teamwork going on between the kids which makes this mama so happy to see.  

This is how we made our boxes.
We used 2 x 8 pieces of wood for a little more height.  
Andy put the first level of the box together with outdoor screws, then we put 2 layers of weed screen on one side of the box using small roofing nails that we had leftover from another project.  Any small nail with a bigger head or a staple gun can be used.  I really didn't want the grass or weeds coming through, that's why I used two layers of the weed screen.  Then we flipped the box over and put the second level of the box on top.  Andy used a 2 x 2 piece to put into the corners to keep the two levels of the box together.  You can see the corner piece in the picture below.  
 Then it was time to fill them up.  
This was such a satisfying project.  
I can't wait to see how they look mid summer!


  1. They look great! Chris has our wood cut. Now I just have to sweet talk him into finishing it:)


Thanks for stopping by!